Servers have been the backbone of all IT infrastructure from the dawn of the information age. From the 70’s and 80’s where they were employed to perform specific tasks, to the 90’s and 00’s where they sat on-premise at the centre of the local network performing a host of tasks, to the early to mid 2010’s when we saw the birth of new technologies like virtualisation allowing MSP’s like Genmar to buy and house high end servers in professional datacentres and rent “cloud” servers to customers, negating the need for customers to buy and maintain themselves. With Microsoft, Amazon and others now offering us the ability to provision servers owned and run by them in absolute state-of-the-art data centres around the globe (Genmar use only those located in UK) we are now able to rent these as a service to our customers.
- Security – A standard misconception is that putting your data into the Cloud is insecure. This is a myth. Think of your server locked away in its cabinet in your office building. The only thing protecting it is a lock and CCTV, if you have some. If you migrate your server to Azure, then it is protected by Hollywood style spy-movie environment of Microsoft’s data centres. Whether it’s in London, Dublin or one of the other UK sites; your data could not be more secure. Access to the data centres is controlled through two-tier authentication, including proxy card access readers and hand geometry biometric readers. Microsoft also have a global incident response team that work around the clock to deal with any cyber threat.
- Cost – Investing in new infrastructure is always a large investment of capital expenditure. With Azure this is no longer an issue. Instead of replacing your servers every five years we essentially configure, maintain and rent your server from Microsoft for a smaller monthly cost making it an operating expenditure like Office 365.
- Scalability – A major benefit with Microsoft Azure is that you only pay for what you need. An example of this would be any business that is seasonal or suffers from other peaks and troughs. Traditionally you would be required to buy and maintain servers to cope with the height of any peak and estimate this over the lifespan of the server say 5 to 7 years. Our managed services in Azure allow you to pay only for the current monthly use and to up or downscale as required. With the unlimited resources of Microsoft the sky is the limit.
- Back Up and Disaster Recovery – Backing up your data to the Cloud is both cost-effective and intelligent. With 99 years of retention and Site Recovery, Azure’s form of disaster recovery, there are options to back up to and recover from a secondary site or straight into the Cloud. Azure’s Backup and Disaster Recovery provides the confidence that come with a leading world-class innovator.
- Compliance – Microsoft makes every effort to ensure that the data in its Cloud is protected. Azure is built around the privacy and security demands of business needs. Microsoft provides the most comprehensive set of compliance offerings compared with any other Cloud service provider. If you work in sectors like legal and finance, you can be confident that your data is being stored compliant with regulations.